- What is emotion? History and usage of the terms
- Ashamed of being Bulgarians? Shame and guilt as strategies of creating consciousness in the Bulgarian community in the 18th and the 19th c.
- Grief: Origin and Representations of crying in Bulgarian literature from the 18th and 19th c.
- Love – typology of an emotion in the European and the Bulgarian context
- Friendship between benefit, devotion and ideological brotherhood
- Joy and Laughter – a way to disarm and to fight. Bulgarian satirical press from the Ottoman time
- Fear from the other, fear for ourselves
- Emotions and letters – epistolary communication in Bulgarian culture from the 18th and 19th c.
- Emotions and “the woman question” in Bulgaria during the 19th c. joint seminar with the topic “Love geometry and mentorship”
- Travel and emotions
Friendship between benefit, devotion and ideological brotherhood
The class will be a continuation of the topic of love as philia with a special focus on “friendship”. Is it a type of mutual love beneficial for the parties, or it is a negotiation for establishing comfort in a coalition against the enemies. What is the status of friendship in the Middle East compared to the Montaignian ideas of friendship, expressed in his major essayist work?
- Приятелството според ръководствата за добро поведение (friendship in conduct books- Raino Popovich, Hristoitia, 1837);
- Приятелството в писмата между журналисти (Friendship in letters from the archives of Georgi Rakovski and Ivan Bogorov);
- Традиционни разбирания за приятелството в Близкия изток (Friendship in the Near East);
- Идеологическото братство (Ideological brotherhood as a topic in 19th c. Bulgarian poetry).
Mandatory reading excerpts from:
- Аристотел. Никомахова етика. Наука и изкуство, 1998. [Aristotle. The Nikomachean Ethics. London : Penguin books, 2004.]
- Goitein, Shelomo D. “Friendship in the Medieval near East.” Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, Vol. 115, 1971: 484-489.
- Jaques Derrida. The Politics of Friendship. Verso, 2005.