- What is emotion? History and usage of the terms
- Ashamed of being Bulgarians? Shame and guilt as strategies of creating consciousness in the Bulgarian community in the 18th and the 19th c.
- Grief: Origin and Representations of crying in Bulgarian literature from the 18th and 19th c.
- Love – typology of an emotion in the European and the Bulgarian context
- Friendship between benefit, devotion and ideological brotherhood
- Joy and Laughter – a way to disarm and to fight. Bulgarian satirical press from the Ottoman time
- Fear from the other, fear for ourselves
- Emotions and letters – epistolary communication in Bulgarian culture from the 18th and 19th c.
- Emotions and “the woman question” in Bulgaria during the 19th c. joint seminar with the topic “Love geometry and mentorship”
- Travel and emotions
What is emotion? History and usage of the terms
This is an introductory class for definition of terms and scope of analysis. We will dissucss methodology and visualization of the classifications of emotions driven classical texts and contemporary interpretations and visual models in this discipline. The presentation will include the few studies on Bulgarian history of emotions in literature as a start for our work with primary sources from the period. In the practical part of the class the students will analyze texts from the period of 18th and 19th c. trying to distinguish leading representations of emotions and their description.
- Dixon, Thomas. ““Emotion”: The History of a Keyword in Crisis.” Emotional Review, 4, 2012: 338-344.
- Reddy, William. Introduction to the study of self and emotions, a translation in Bulgarian. (Accessed 17.12.2019)
Texts from the 19th c. Bulgarian literature: examples from works by Georgi Rakovski, Vasil Aprilov, Ivan Vazov, Maria Burmova, Irina Exarch, Hristo Botev, Sofronij Vratchanski (on moodle platform)
- Ekman, Paul. Atlas of Emotions. 2018. http://atlasofemotions.org/ (accessed October 6, 2019).
- Аретов, Николай, “Емоции, идентичност, литература и национална митология: многопосочност на връзките”. Първа радост е за мене. Емоционалното съдържание на българската идентичност. София, Кралица Маб, 2012. [Emotion, identity, literature and national mythology. In: Parva radost e za mene. Emotionalnoto sastoynie na balgarskata identichnost. Sofia Kralitza Mab, 2012.]