- Introduction to the course. Heritage and Nostalgia. Theoretical and Methodological Undertakings
- Studying Socialism from a Historical and Anthropological Perspective: Thirty Years after the Political Changes of 1989
- History and Memory of the Communist Period: Traumatic Pasts and Nostalgic Returns
- The Town and the Village – Internal Mobility and Residence Practices. Socialist Transformations and Their Lasting Effects
- Nostalgia of Socialist Everyday Life (1): Work Practices and Labor Organization under Socialism
- Nostalgia of Socialist Everyday Life (2): Free Time, Entertainment, Recreation and Vacations under Socialism
- Consumption under Socialism. Everyday Practices, Memory and Nostalgic Potential
- Living Spaces under Socialism – between Nostalgia and Rejection. The Transformations of Private and Public Spaces after 1989
- Public Rituals and Memorial Spaces of the Communist Period: Continuities, Disruptions, Heritage Construction
- Post-socialism and Post-colonialism: Post-Soviet Nostalgia, Yugonostalgia, Ostnostalgia
- Socialist Heritage and Museum Practices after 1989: between Nostalgia, Denunciation, and Disneyification
- Popular Culture under Socialism: Continuities and Nostalgic Revisiting
- Social Worlds and Transmission of Cultural Experience: Nostalgia and the Issue of Generations
- The Memory of Socialism – between Allergy and Nostalgia, Remembering and Amnesia
- Studying Socialism from the Perspective of Nostalgia and Heritage. Final Presentations and Conclusions
Social Worlds and Transmission of Cultural Experience: Nostalgia and the Issue of Generations
The class is dedicated to the dynamics of social experiences after the end of the communist period and on how nostalgia is embedded and also dependent on the changes of different generations. A major point of discussion is the extent to which nostalgia is limited to the generations that have lived under communism and to the way in which heritage-related practices about the communist period involve the post-communist generations.
Texts for discussion:
- Berdahl, D., Goodbye, Lenin! Aufwiedersehen GDR: On the Social Life of Socialism. In: Todorova, M. and Zs. Gille, eds., Post-Communist Nostalgia. Berghahn Books, 2010, 177-189.
- Creed, G. W., Economic crisis and ritual decline in Eastern Europe. In: Hann, Ch. M. ed., Postsocialism: Ideals, Ideologies and Practices in Eurasia. London and New York, 2002, 57-73.
- Yurchak, A. Everything Was Forever Until It Was No More. The Last Soviet Genera-tion. Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2006.
- Колева, Д., съст., Възраст и поколение при социализма. София, 2019. [Koleva, D., Age and Generation under Socialism. Sofia, 2019].